It’s all happening…
It’s always nice when a series finishes with its best stuff, and that’s what seems to be happening with Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love!. After delivering its comic tour de force last week, it gives is its most serious (though still funny) episode this time, and in doing so does a fantastic job of starting to deliver payoffs to all the threads it’s started thus far. I’m going to be quite sad to see this show end, but there are signs it may do decently on disc – the DVD cracked the Stalker Top 100 this week, and historically series like this that appeal primarily to a female audience outperform their projections due to strong storefront (mostly Animate) sales. Let’s hope so.
- “Aikatsu” – Love activity! The perfect formula to get Wombat’s juices flowing.
- Curry isn’t something to joke about – apparently. It is a fairly sacred subject to the Japanese for some reason.
- CoCoRo gets a free plug (are they a sponsor?) – but I prefer Gorilla Curry.
- “Baka Power!” Yeah, that about sums us up. And I guess that makes Yumoto the ultimate human.
- So yeah, Hireashi and Zundar are in-league, and the goldfish is the top boss. Between Ohtake Hiroshi’s hilarious Osaka-ben and the facial animation, Hireashi may be the funniest character in the show.
- A cold-storage bag for Tawarayama-sensei? Now that’s change we can believe in.
- I love the idea of Battle Lovers cosplaying as the Battle Lovers to sell curry. It suits Binan to a “T”.
- Finally, we get the full story on Atsushi and “Kin-chan”. Spurned – over a middle-school curry date. No one could blame poor Kusatsu for losing it over that. I like the whole setup and the payoff too – it’s a fittingly asinine reason for a one-sided blood feud. But my suspicion is that these two will end up joining forces to save the Earth in the end. And to eat curry, of course.
- That makeup!
- And then there’s An-chan. Any ep with lots of An-chan is good. What was with that question he asked Yumoto – is it a reflection of his concern over what he saw last week, or is he hiding some secret facet of himself?
- Goura flying to the scene with an axe, bursting with An-chan love-fueled rage? I wouldn’t want to be the one who has to face him next week – Goura is just going to see a giant log.